Hair extensions are a great way to go if you are looking for length, volume, or you just want to change your hair color, hair extensions can be the solution you are looking for. There are so many different categories of hair extensions out there that you can choose from.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase within one of these links, I will receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
After purchasing your hair extensions, you have to decide on the method of hair extension application. You have two options to choose from. You can get a full head of hair extensions, or you can get individual-strand hair extensions. The full head application may refer to attaching a single piece of synthetic or human hair extensions, which may also refer to attaching hair wefts.
Hair Extension Methods:
Hair extension methods can be broken down into two different categories and each has various methods of installment.
- You have the strand by strand method – bonded, micro links, and knotting
- Then there’s the weft panels – tape-in, clip-in, sew-in, and glue in
Choosing a hair extension brand and method can become overwhelming but it is important that you choose one that’s best suited for you. This may depend on several different factors, including hair type, lifestyle, and budget. While there are many different brands and types of hair extensions out there, it is important for you to remember that not all methods are created equal. And the quality of the hair, craftsmanship, and warranties differs significantly from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Here are some of the advantages of wearing hair clip-ins:
- They are beginner-friendly
- Easy to apply
- Easier to remove
- No glue, tape or any other tools are needed for this application
Strand by Strand Hair Extension Methods:
The strand by strand hair extension method utilizes approximately 20-40 strands of hair attached together at one end using a glue bond/ keratin/ or polyurethane. Strand by strand hair extensions are attached to small pieces or sections of the natural hair strands using a warm or cold fusion. The strand by strand method is often referred to as a keratin bond, u or nail tip, flat tip, or micro links and nanorings.
Bonded strand by strand extensions are attached to the hair using a heating element. This is when your hair is placed between the u-tip and sealed with a hot extension tool which melts the keratin glue that is rolled into the hair. The bonds are attached to the root allowing little space for movement.
Volume applications are between 100-150 strands whereas, length applications require as many as 300 strands. The number of strands will depend on the amount and length of your own hair, the desired look, and the desired length.
Hair extensions are great for any occasion like parties, weddings, graduations, photo shoots, birthdays, and more. Adding hair extensions enhances your look to make it more flattering, and enables you to create that amazingly beautiful hairstyle.
Pros and Cons of the strand by strand method:
Here are some pros and cons to consider before making the decision to have the strand by strand extensions installed.
- Most suitable for coarse, thick hair
- Hair extensions can last between 16-20 weeks with the proper maintenance, making it the most durable application
- Durability can also be a con. 80% of hair extensions damage occurs after the 8th week of wear, therefore, the longer you wear it the greater the chance is of hair breakage or hair loss.
- This is the most expensive method of hair extensions because of the lengthy application and removal process. The national average application process is approx. 6-8 hours. Some experienced hairdressers can complete a lengthy application in 2-4 hours
- The attachment points are hard and can be uncomfortable for the first few weeks.
- Not reusable hair. New hair has to be purchased for every application.
Brush hair frequently and avoid oil-based products or over-styling.
The cost for the strand by strand hair extension method depends on the brand of hair, and how many strands of hair is added. It can also depend on which city they are applied.
Although I try different styles on my own hair with different types of hair extensions, I am not a professional or expert. This post is for informational purpose. Please see your hairstylist for consultation.
Thanks for reading!
Please leave your questions or comments below. I would love to hear from you.